Watermelons are some of the most hydrating fruits in the world. They’re loaded with delicious flavor and plenty of vital nutrients. Juicing a watermelon makes it much easier for you to drink it whenever and wherever you want. Fortunately, it’s one of the easiest fruits to juice.
You can juice a watermelon by blending it for one minute, then dripping it through a strainer. This process will remove the pulp, leaving nothing but the juice. Or put it through a juicer with the rind peeled and the seeds left in.
You can combine it with mint, ginger, chia seeds, and other healthy ingredients to add flavor and nutrition.
Throughout this article, you’ll also learn the following information about juicing a watermelon:
- How you can juice a watermelon at home
- The best recipes for juiced watermelons
- Nutritional details about various drinks and recipes
How to Juice a Watermelon
Before you start juicing the watermelon, you’ll need to get a blender, cheesecloth, and a mesh strainer. Watermelon can have quite a bit of chunkiness after it’s blended, so the cheesecloth will make it juicier.
Note: Always try to use a seedless watermelon to prevent choking hazards and seed bits from getting into your juice.
Here’s how you can juice a watermelon:
- Cut the watermelon into one-inch chunks. It can be a bit too hard on your blender if you try to juice an entire watermelon without chopping it apart. Needless to say, there shouldn’t be any of the skin left on the outside of all of the pieces. Once you’ve chopped it, move onto the next step.
- Put your watermelon chunks into a blender. She Likes Food recommends blending it for 30 to 60 seconds, depending on how fine you prefer the juice to be. Anything beyond one minute won’t really change the consistency of the juice because it’s already too thin for a blender.
- Pour the watermelon juice into a mesh strainer. Set the strainer over a cup or a juice jug and allow it to slowly drip through. Never force the juice through the strainer because it’ll cause chunks of watermelon pulp to go through. Instead, remain patient and allow it to drip through by itself.
- (Optional) Line the mesh strainer with cheesecloth. This method will make it even juicier (or filled with even less pulp). It’s worth noting that it’ll take significantly longer for the juice to drip through the layers of cheesecloth and mesh than it would if you removed the cheesecloth, though.
That’s all there is to it! Making watermelon juice is the easy part. When you start adding more ingredients, it can get even more delicious. In the next section, you’ll discover all sorts of recipes to add to your list.
Now that you’ve made a batch of watermelon juice, it’s time to start using it in a plethora of different recipes. Whether you’re looking for a morning drink to replace your coffee or you want to hydrate with electrolytes after a workout, you’ll find the perfect recipe for you below.
Watermelon Cucumber Juice
Both of these foods are loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals, so it’s no wonder why so many people make it a part of their morning routine. It’s one of the most popular drinks for juicing cleanses.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup of watermelon juice
- ½ of a cucumber (trimmed and sliced)
- Two limes
How to make your own watermelon cucumber juice:
- Start by juicing the two limes separately. You can squeeze them by hand or try something like the Zulay Professional Citrus Juicer. All you have to do is put the lime in the socket, pull down the lever, and catch the juice with a cup. It’s the most efficient way to get all of the juice out of your limes.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices, making sure that they’re all trimmed and free of the skin. Juice the cucumbers with a juicer or toss them into a blender until they’re thinned out.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and turn it on for 30 seconds. Drink it right away or store it in the fridge since there will be some separation from the watermelon and cucumber pieces.
Watermelon Ginger Cold Drink
Nothing’s better than cooling off on a hot summer day with a nice watermelon ginger cold drink. It replenishes all of the lost nutrients from exercising and walking around in the heat. Epicurious has a wonderful recipe, but we’re going to make it even easier for you.
Gather these supplies for the drink:
- One cup of watermelon juice
- ⅓ cup of lime juice
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
How to make watermelon ginger juice at home:
- Toss the ice cubes, lime juice, and watermelon juice into a blender. Blend them for about thirty seconds (or until the ice cubes are broken down).
- Add the fresh ginger and sugar into the blend. Turn it on again for about 60 seconds or until the ginger is ground down completely. This might take more or less time, so check it after every 10-second pulse.
You can drink it right away or store it in the fridge for later. Keep in mind that the ice cubes will eventually turn back into water, dulling the flavor a bit. You can prevent this from happening by freezing the drink in an ice tray to use it as ice cubes in other juices.
Watermelon Chia Fresca
If you’re tired of going through sugary drinks without feeling full, then you’re in luck. The watermelon chia Fresca by Grateful Grazer is filling, delicious, and packed with health benefits. Let’s check out the ingredients that you need below.
- Four tablespoons of chia seeds
- Fresh mint leaves
- Two cups of cold water
- Four cups of watermelon juice
- One lemon
Here’s how you can make this delicious drink:
- Stir the cold water with the chia seeds. After a few minutes, it’ll start to turn into a gel-like substance. Set this aside and head onto the next step.
- Juice the lemon (you can also use a lime) by hand or with the aforementioned manual juicer. Remember to remove any seeds that might be found in the juice. Pour this juice into the blender, then check out step three.
- Place the watermelon juice and mint leaves into the blender with the lemon juice. You can use as little or as many mint leaves as you prefer. It’s recommended that you try about ¾ ounces of mint leaves for optimal flavor.
- Pour the chia seed gel into the blender once you’ve blended the remaining ingredients. Blend the gel in with the blender’s contents, then drink it immediately. The gel will start to loosen if you let it sit for too long, so you might have to stir it together with a spoon after an hour or so.
Watermelon juice is debatably the best drink to have on a hot day. Not only are you hydrating your cells, but you’re also reintroducing healthy nutrients that were lost from sweating and moving around.
Making this juice is as easy as it gets. There’s no need for fancy machines other than a simple blender. However, using a manual juicer for lemons and limes can make it much easier to create a smooth, sweet drink.
Once you’ve made the watermelon juice, you can add flavor with more flavor with ginger, energy with mint, or a meal replacement with chia seeds. There are so many possibilities for this simple yet tasty drink!