Coconut milk is a low-calorie drink that you can enjoy on almost any diet plan. It’s cost-effective, delicious, and a great way to replace dairy milk. Making your own coconut milk at home saves you even more money while still providing you with the low-fat, sweet taste that coconuts naturally have.
You can drink coconut milk on a juice fast by shredding it, mixing it with water and salt, then dripping it through a nut milk bag. Add honey, cinnamon, and other ingredients to enhance the flavor and nutritional value of the drink. Enjoy it within five days or freeze the milk for up to one month.
Throughout this article, you’ll also learn the following details about coconut milk:
- How to make your own coconut milk at home
- Different recipes to try while on a juice fast
- All of the nutritional information about coconut milk
How to Drink Coconut Milk on a Juice Fast
Juice fasting can be a wonderful experience if you know how to make all of the best recipes. We’ll touch more on the variety of drinks that you can make in the next section; For now, you’ll be able to find out how to make your own coconut milk at home.
Here are the supplies that you’ll need:
- Two cups of shredded coconut (preferably from a fresh coconut, not pre-shredded)
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cups of water (add an extra cup if you want a thinner, less creamy milk)
How to make coconut milk while on a juice fast:
- Shred two cups of coconut, then place them into a blender. If you purchased store-bought shredded coconut, make sure you wash it off in the sink before adding it to the drink.
- Add three cups of filtered water in the blender with the coconut. If you want the liquid to be a bit thinner and less creamy, add four cups instead. Blend it together for 60 seconds, stir the milk, then blend it for another 60 seconds.
- Toss a dash of salt into the blender, then mix it for about 15 seconds. You can also stir it in manually with a spoon if you’d like.
- Set out a mesh strainer or a nut milk bag, such as the Scengclos Nut Milk Bags, then pour the blended mixture through it. Allow it to drip through the bag naturally. If it’s not pouring through quick enough, squeeze the bag a bit or apply pressure with a spatula to the mesh strainer.
That’s all there is to it! Make sure you either store the coconut milk in a bag in the fridge for up to 5 days or toss it into the freezer for up to one month.
If you want to learn a few of the best recipes to add with your homemade coconut milk, head onto the next section.
Top Coconut Milk Recipes
As you probably read above, coconut milk is one of the simplest recipes to make. However, you can add a few ingredients along the way if you want to make it more flavorful and filling. Whether you’re looking for a night time drink to fall asleep better or a pre-workout energy drink, coconut milk is a fantastic base.
Naturally Sweetened Coconut Milk
This recipe from Minimalist Baker is one of the tastiest choices available. It’s a wonderful alternative for those who have a sweet tooth throughout the day. Rather than loading up on sugar, you’ll get loads of healthy vitamins and minerals.
Here’s what you’ll need to make naturally sweetened coconut milk:
- One tablespoon of maple syrup
- ½ of a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Two tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Two cups of homemade coconut milk
How to make the drink:
- While making the coconut milk from the previous section, add the maple syrup to the blender. Mix everything together, ensuring that the syrup is evenly blended throughout the coconut milk.
- Once it’s all finished and you’ve strained it through the recommended nut milk bag, add the vanilla extract. Stir everything together, again, making sure that the vanilla extract is dissolved throughout the entire mixture.
- Next, toss the cocoa powder into the blender and blend all of the ingredients together. Mix it together for 30 seconds, then pour it into a separate container (glass is the best option for preserving the flavor and texture of coconut milk.
Golden Coconut Milk
Golden coconut milk is the perfect pre-bed sleep aid. It’s warm, satisfying, and filling enough to relax your body. If you’re tired of tossing and turning, this drink will be exactly what you need for a good night’s sleep.
Here are the ingredients for golden coconut milk:
- One cup of homemade coconut milk as mentioned in the first section
- One teaspoon of turmeric
- A pinch of cinnamon
- One teaspoon of coconut sugar
How to make this drink at home:
- Start by heating the coconut milk. You can either put it in a cup, then microwave it for one minute, or steam it on the stove. Bring it to a low-simmer, ensuring that it doesn’t boil.
- Pour the heated coconut milk into a mug, then add the turmeric and coconut sugar. Stir it all together, creating the namesake golden color. Allow the drink to sit for two minutes to create a light foam on top. You can also use a milk whisk, such as the PowerLix Milk Frother, to create a latte-like foam. It’s simple, quick, and perfect for aerating your drinks.
- Once you’ve achieved the perfect layer of foam on top, sprinkle the desired amount of cinnamon on the drink. Enjoy it right away (storing it in the fridge is an option, but it won’t taste the same once the ingredients separate and settle).
Coconut Strawberry Banana Smoothie
If you’re on board for the latest smoothie craze that’s been sweeping the world, you’ll love what’s in store for this recipe. The coconut strawberry banana smoothie is as delicious as it gets. When you’re ready to get all of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs, reach for these ingredients:
- One banana
- Three strawberries
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 3 to 5 ice cubes
Here’s how to make it in your own kitchen:
- Chop the banana into smaller pieces to make it easier for the blender to blend. Also, remove the tops of the strawberries.
- Toss all of the ingredients into a blender and blend it for 30 seconds. Check the consistency; If it’s not up to your personal preference, turn it on for another 30 seconds. When you’re all done, you’re free to enjoy the smoothie!
If you want to add a garnish to the smoothie, top it off with a pinch of coconut flakes. You can also stir them in for texture purposes.
Coconut milk is packed with electrolytes and healthy fats that help to facilitate weight loss and muscle growth. The next time you’re looking for ingredients to add to your juicing diet or a traditional meal plan, coconut milk is an excellent choice.
Here’s a quick rundown of the post:
- Turmeric, cocoa powder, and a variety of fruits all pair well with coconut milk.
- Always use a mesh strainer, sieve, or nut milk bag to strain the milk.
- Store the fresh coconut milk in a bag or bottle for five days in the refrigerator before disposing of it.
- Coconut milk can be frozen for up to one month for it needs to be used.